You know you should eat more beans, but you’d rather save room for dessert. With this delectable bean pudding with butterscotch sauce from the Ontario Bean Growers, you can do both. Sweetening the deal is that it contains 10g of protein and 4.7g of fibre per serving.
Bean Pudding with Butterscotch Sauce
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Makes: 6 servings
- 2 cups (500 mL) well-cooked white pea beans or canned beans, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) evaporated skim milk, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup(50 mL) brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp(2 mL) nutmeg
- 6 tsp (30 mL) chopped pecans
- 2 tbsp (25 mL)butter
- 1/2 cup (125 mL)brown sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) corn syrup
- 2 tbsp (25 mL)whipping cream
- 2 tbsp (25 mL)apple butter or apple sauce
Place the beans in a food processor. Purée until smooth, along with 1/2 cup of the evaporated milk.
Add eggs, sugars, apple butter, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg; process using several on/off turns until combined. Gradually add remaining evaporated milk and process until combined.
Spoon mixture into six 1/2 cup (125 mL) ramekins.
Place ramekins in a shallow baking dish. Pour hot water to reach halfway up the sides.
Place in a preheated 350⁰F (180⁰C) oven for 35 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
To make the butterscotch sauce, melt butter in a small saucepan. Add brown sugar and corn syrup and cook gently until sugar dissolves. Stir in whipping cream and bring to a boil. Let cool slightly before serving.
Serve ramekins drizzled with butterscotch sauce and top each with 1 tsp. (5 mL) chopped pecans.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 349 kcal; protein 10 g; fat 9 g; carbohydrates 59 g; total dietary fibre 4.7 g.
Find more great recipes online at ontariobeans.ca.
- A date night meal that’s sure to impress – Gnocchi and white bean skillet recipe
- Pork shoulder roast with asian caramel sauce recipe
- In celebration of National Popcorn Day, a roundup of sweet and savoury Canadian popcorn recipes
- Celebrate Canada 150 with this campfire dessert dip
- Easy candy fudge recipe