Exploring healthy choices as a family
Before kids, I was a very active person. I was always walking, biking, working on my feet; then would spending my evenings dancing, shooting pool, and basically taking part in any activity that didn’t involve sitting still.
I’d never put much focus on things like healthy eating habits or the environment though. I’d been taught to recycle and knew the importance of a balanced diet but, between fast food runs, I didn’t spend much time thinking about the long term effects that my choices were having on my health, or the environment.
All that changed when I had kids. I was extreme couponing (and that meant diapers and other disposable baby products at amazingly cheap prices) but I was horrified at the thought of all of those nappies and wipes piling up in a landfill. The wheels in my head started to turn.
It wasn’t long after developing that insight that I learned my oldest daughter’s skin was hyper-sensitive, even to “gentle” baby skin care products. She developed horrible eczema on her arms and sometimes got rashes on her face after hugging people. I started to read ingredients labels more closely. Suddenly I found myself questioning the chemical content in everything from shampoo to the dye that my blue jeans had been coloured with. And what exactly is food colouring made out of anyways?
While I was forced to take action in finding a more natural skin care product for my baby, there were plenty of things that I was slower to getting around to; and I will admit it: I never did switch to cloth diapers. I did re-evaluate and find greener alternatives to my disposable feminine hygiene products though…
Small steps. Every bit helps.
And it’s got to be fun right?! Because if it feels like a hassle, well, sometimes it’s tough to motivate ourselves to add more “work” into our already busy lives.
The Healthy Family Expo is a fun-filled day for the whole family that introduces Metro Vancouver parents to small steps & simple solutions for healthy, active, eco-friendly living.
It’s my favourite place to explore new alternatives. They round up a ton of the best businesses into one place, and have it set up in such a way that the whole family stays engaged all day long.
And it just keeps getting bigger and better!
When I first visited the expo a few years back I remember being super impressed by the 100+ exhibitors and vast 10,000 foot area of play space set up for families to explore. We’d arrived mid-day, and instantly wished we’d headed over sooner; because there was so much fun stuff to do.
We didn’t make that mistake a second time! Last year we arrived shortly before opening, and danced, played, browsed, and taste-tested until closing.
We’ll be there first thing in the morning again this year. And I highly recommend that your family do the same because, with double the exhibit space in 2017, there will be more than ever to explore.
Over 200 healthy and eco-friendly vendors from throughout North America will be there. The Active Kid Zone will be 25,000 feet of play space!!!
I’m most excited to see that Springfree Trampoline is a new addition to this year’s Active Kid Zone at the Expo! It’s the smart active living choice that delivers for the whole family and you can test-drive one for yourself at the event on March 26th. And guess what? One lucky family will be taking home a Springfree Trampoline through the Expo’s early bird ticket draw, and another one as part of the Expo’s Grand Prize Showcase (visit the Healthy Family Expo website for terms and conditions for those giveaways). That’s a prize valued at over $3000!
Highlights of the 4th annual Healthy Family Expo coming up on Sunday, March 26, include:
- Meeting popular CBC Kids characters Daniel Tiger, Super WHY!, Bookaboo & Scout;
- Bobs & LoLo and Jessie Farrell concerts featuring songs celebrating the natural world;
- HUGE Active Kid Zone with rock wall, giant hamster ball race track, Tumblebus & TumbleTown, Springfree trampolines, Sportball & Pedalheads play areas and more;
- 200+ exhibitors with healthy food sampling & eco-friendly products & services;
- Whole Foods Market Zone, London Drugs Health Zone, and brand new Toyota Canada Outdoor Living Zone, West Coast Kids Healthy Baby Zone, and Green Living Zone;
- Science World fire show and ninja & tumbling demonstrations on stage;
- Vancouver Aquarium AquaVan interactive zone for kids;
- $15,000 Grand Prize Showcase including a 1-year lease on a Toyota Prius c;
- Baby feeding & changing lounge with complimentary diapers, wipes & comfy seating;
- Family Rest Stop courtesy of Love Child Organics and lots of stroller parking;
- First 500 adults through the door receive a gift bag full of healthy product samples;
- First 200 adults through the door receive an adult pass to Science World; and
- Partial proceeds of ticket sales support Canucks Autism Network sports programs.
Purchasing tickets for the Healthy Family Expo 2017:
Adult Expo tickets are $15 each online, cash at the door, or at London Drugs from March 1-26.
Kids under 16 get in FREE and ALL ATTRACTIONS are included with admission!
To get involved in the fun:
- Join the Expo 2017 Facebook Event to RSVP to win thousands in prizes at their March 23rd pre-Expo Facebook Party from 8 to 10 pm!
- Buy tickets early to qualify to win a Springfree Trampoline!
- Grab 2-for-1 adult tickets online using limited time promo code EHC241.
A Healthy Family Expo pre-expo contest
(Try to say that three times fast!)
To kick off our pre-Expo celebrations, we’re giving away a $200 Healthy Family Expo 2017 shopping spree that one lucky winner will get to spend on their choice of exhibitors at the event on March 26th! This online giveaway runs from March 6 – 22, 2017, and the winner must be a British Columbia resident aged 19+ able to attend the Healthy Family Expo at the Vancouver Convention Centre between 9 am & 5 pm on March 26 to pick up and use the prize that day.
Enter for your chance to win through Rafflecopter below.
The winner will be announced at the pre-Expo Facebook Party on March 23rd, 2017!