Salads have a host of bountiful nutrients, but it can be easy to get stuck eating the same kind every day.
To help get you of this rut, Tom Filippou, executive chef for President’s Choice cooking school, encourages you to try this Thai-style beet salad, which only takes 15 minutes to prepare and provides you with a source of fibre.
“Give coleslaw a Thai-twist with lime, fish sauce, peanuts and cilantro. Cilantro stems have lots of flavour and can be chopped up to use in salads like in this recipe, or puréed into sauces such as pesto. This easy-to-make salad will give you something to look forward to at lunch or can make for an exciting side with your dinner.”
Thai-Style Beet Salad
Prep time: 15 minutes
Makes: 5 servings
• 1/3 cup (75 mL) mayonnaise
• 3 tbsp (45 mL) fresh lime juice
• 1 tbsp (15 mL) granulated sugar
• 1 tbsp (15 mL) fish sauce
• 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
• 1/2 tsp (2 mL) black pepper, freshly ground
• 1 pkg (340 g) PC Beet Slaw
• 1/3 cup (75 mL) fresh cilantro (including tender stems), chopped
• 2 green onions, chopped
• 1/2 cup (125 mL) dry-roasted unsalted peanuts, chopped
- Stir together mayonnaise, lime juice, sugar, fish sauce, salt and pepper in large bowl. Add slaw; toss until well coated. Stir in cilantro and green onions. Cover and chill 30 minutes.
Stir in peanuts.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 230, fat 19 g, sodium 630 mg, carbohydrates 11 g, fibre 4 g, protein 6 g.