Last night I attended the media night for the opening of the Vancouver Christmas Market. I had never been to the market before and was mesmerized by all the attractions. Running from November 21 to December 24, 2018 this is an event I will be returning to and you need to plan to check out!
Our media night tour was spectacular! Gingerbread men greeted us at the gate and as we entered the market the magic of Christmas took over. With a brightly lit carousel spinning and carolers singing, we knew we in for a treat. We indulged in treats such as German Bratwurst; Gulasch; vegan eats from the Organic Villa Vegan Haus; syrup-filled pancakes made by Mr. Hot Cakes; and much more. I especially enjoyed the cocktails at Wunderbar including The Krampus and Scrooge Sour.
Other tasty treats to check out when you go include Spätzle; Schnitzel; Strudels; Transylvanian Chimney Cakes; a selection of German beer; award-winning German style wine; charcuterie from the Charcuterie Haus; sweet and savoury macarons prepared by Bon Macaron Patisserie; warm roasted chestnuts from JJ’s Fresh Roasted Chestnuts; and gluten free hard apple cider made by Howling Moon Craft Cider.
Our tour took us through all the incredible stations at the market including some spectacular vendors with unique gifts I plan to purchase for loved ones this holiday season – okay and a few for myself too! We walked through the giant Christmas tree for photos and sat in Santa’s sleigh! There are so many awesome things to see, do and of course eat! The Vancouver Christmas Market is a must-do every season and this year is no different!
This event started after Malte Kluetz, Founder and President of the Vancouver Christmas Market reflected on the excitement of the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver. That year he started the market at Queen Elizabeth Plaza with a modest 25 huts to explore. Since then they have grown to over 80 huts including food vendors, activities and shopping options for all. This is their third year at Jack Poole Plaza – home of the Olympic Cauldron – and it is easy to see how this has become the heart of Christmas in the city.
Here’s some of the exciting new features this year:
- Alpine Lounge: Heated seating area for enjoying food and drink undercover overlooking the water
- The Winterdeck: featuring a giant lit-up picture frame with stunning views of the North Shore – don’t miss the Glühwein (a hot-spiced mulled wine) being served out of a backpack to keep you warm while you wait your turn for this amazing photo opportunity
- Lovers’ Lane: a 30-foot long tunnel adorned with 10,000 twinkling lights and mistletoe perfect for smooches
- Love Locks: A nearby installation near the tunnel to which lovers can attach a ‘Vancouver Christmas Market Love Lock’ and mail their keys to Santa for safe keeping, along with any letters to Santa which can also go in the mailbox.
- Igloo Craft Tent: a new attraction for kids to enjoy arts and crafts, creating something special for loved ones
- Layout Changes: to accommodate more people and set up a more flexible flow of people traffic around the parts of the market
- Advent Calendar: The last stop on a scavenger hunt that has kids explore the entire park searching for seven stations with a small prize at the end
- November 23-December 7 – Children’s Wish Weeks – The Vancouver Christmas Market is honoured to work with and support its charitable partner the Children’s Wish Foundation. During the market’s ‘Children’s Wish Weeks,’ please visit the market and make a donation to help raise $10,000 to make a deserving child’s wish come true.
- November 23, November 30, December 7 – Free Carousel Fridays – Rides offered by donation to Children’s Wish
- November 25 – Shopping Day – select vendors will offer one-day deals for all your Christmas shopping needs
- November 27 & December 4 – Foodie Tuesdays – select vendors will offer $4 samplers and Wunderbar will have $5 off item
- November 29, December 6, December 13 & December 20 – Club Christmas – Every Thursday enjoy after-work drinks and new later hours with DJs playing at the Christmas pyramid. Also check out karaoke at the Alpine Lounge and prepare to relax and enjoy the festivities
- December 1 – Kid’s Day – Holly & Jolly the gingerbread men are welcoming kids 13 and under to join them at the market by donation to Children’s Wish Foundation
- December 5 – Deluxe Date Night – two for one entry and other deals for couples to enjoy, look for extra mistletoe and an evening of romance
- December 7 – Canucks Defenseman Erik Gudbrandson Visits the Market – Calling all Vancouver Canucks fans! Canucks defenseman Erik Gudbranson will be on site to help make a child’s wish come true. Visitors who make a donation to Children’s Wish Foundation will have the chance to go head-to-head with Erik as they try to score against him. Are you skilled enough to take him on?
Tickets to the 2018 Vancouver Christmas Market are now on sale:
Adult $12, Seniors $11, Youth Age 7-12 $5, Children Age 0-6 FREE
Family ticketing and season’s passes also available.
When: November 21-December 24, 2018
Where: Jack Poole Plaza, Coal Harbour
We enjoyed our evening at the Christmas Market and can’t wait to go back with friends and family. #VanChristmas